Monday, March 22, 2010

God in the Spa

A couple of years ago, I was given a trip that included a cruise. While on the cruise, I was given a facial at the spa. I entered that spa, never having had a facial. Never having done much with my face. Never knowing just what my skin should be feeling and looking like.

As the facial went on, the gal working ever so hard was explaining all about my skin, what she was seeing in my skin, how I should be taking care of my skin, etc...

I bonded with that gal. I felt pretty vulnerable and she kept proving herself trustworthy to me. She was gentle and gracious, no matter how horrified she might have been at the sight of my skin! She was kind and caring and I found that I began to like her very much.

She told me to sit up, look in the mirror, and feel my skin. I don't like to look at myself in the mirror, so I tentatively took the mirror, looked at my face, and began to touch my skin. Tears instantly came to my eyes (as they are now just remembering it), and my vision was so blurry that I couldn't even see the mirror in my hand. I had never felt my skin feel that way! I had felt so cared for (dare I say "loved"?). Few had ever been so gentle with me. No one had ever hidden any form of disgust and only revealed grace.

I left that spa feeling like I never had before....or so I thought.

I have been thinking about the experience lately. I am sure that God has brought that to mind for me to dwell on for a purpose. I think I know that purpose! God has done that same thing for me! He has been gracious and kind, hiding any disgust He might feel. He embraces me and has made my life tender and soft, just as my skin felt. He has made me a light to others for His glory, as my skin radiated light after all that care.

Just knowing how God has treated me, makes tears spring to my eyes!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

you made me cry - in a good way

amy said...

You always post these "food for thought" blogs just when I need to hear them. What a great reminder.