Monday, March 29, 2010

I Am A Gluten Glutten!

Over the last several years, I have felt worse and worse, medically speaking. I have been really tired mostly, and have been told I have severe anemia...severe enough that it was suggested that I have a blood transfusion...hmmmm....no thanks!

But in recent months, more symptoms have been added to the tired list: lactose intolerant, severe reflux, diarrhea, irritability and moodiness, bloating...and the list goes on.

One day I was eating a tortilla to stave off extreme hunger (love my breads!) and noticed that my stomach was hurting as I was eating. Of course, I finished eating and then God brought to mind many conversations I have heard over the last months....all about gluten.

I went to the internet to look up gluten, issues with gluten, diagnosis of those gluten issues, and symptoms of having gluten issues...well, well, well...my list of symptoms was right down the line, the same as those on the computer screen! I missed the losing weight part...are you kidding me?, but mostly the exact things I was dealing with. So I read on, and on, and on...

Because I love all of my small intestine, I didn't want to go the biopsy route; so I decided to do my own 21 day elimination diet...eliminating my favorite thing of all...bread, and all things bready. Oh! There's more than bread, but it's a sad, sad list of things I can't have right now. (like pasta!)

I have just completed day 8 of my diet and right now, I feel great! (bittersweet though in my book) I am going to do 13 more days and then do what is called a gluten challenge...7 days of regular gluten eating menus! Those will be glorious even if I am in pain, I tell you. I then figure out based on my reactions to the different menus which was I feel better. Since there is only a test to determine Celiacs Disease and not any to show intolerance or any sensitivity to gluten, I have chosen this route.

I will keep you posted on how I am doing. My symptoms are dramatically reduced at this point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you! keep it up!

The Nelson Family said...

Well, I'm glad you are feeling better. I'll think of you when I'm eating freshly baked toasty rosemary garlic focaccia bread I made. :) No, really, I'm just glad you are feeling much better!!