Sunday, February 27, 2011

Words

I remember my daddy saying to me one time that I was fat. Why do I remember that one particular statement, when the only other things he ever told me was how much he loved me? how great I was? etc....

It was just the one time...but I remember just the house we lived in when he said it. I remember where I was in that house when he said it. I remember what I was wearing when he said it. I remember the feeling I had when he said it....like I was punched in my apparently-too-big stomach.

Do we know, or care, the effect our words have on others? Do we even pay attention to what we are saying or do we just proverbially vomit all over those around us based on our emotions and then just walk away?

I am very guilty of saying the wrong things at the wrong times. (is there ever a right time to say the wrong thing?)

Just remembering that today and feeling sad.

1 comment:

Lisa Jacques Elam said...

Words have more power than we realize. The old saying "Sticks and Stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me."...is jut simply not true.