Thursday, August 28, 2008

God is Still Working on Me

I identify with the words of Paul when he says that he is chief among sinners and that he is only where he is by the grace of God. He could have been saying that about me!

So with that in mind, I must admit that one of my biggest areas of dealing with my sinful nature is on the phone with a company and having to push buttons for a "phone tree"! Can you relate at all? Probably not...I have yet to meet another person for whom the mysterious phone tree causes such distress, anger, outrage, sinful thoughts, and, occasionally, sinful words! My family has all seen my transformation from normal mom and wife into a heinous creature the moment I am told to push one for English!

The poor person, if I can even speak to a live person!, who ends up answering my calls...I feel sorry for her, but have a difficult time being rational when she asks me to repeat exactly what I have just entered or spoke into the phone.

All this to say that Ben and I were speaking about this the other night after he witnessed me on the phone with our insurance company and not once did I raise my voice, mumble something under my breath in a passive/aggressive manner, or say something ugly! I must say that I was quite proud of myself, and God was so gracious to encourage me, because my complaint was heard and the company took appropriate actions to change what needed changing! How great is that? So over the years, and a lot of work from God, I am seeing changes in my reactions, my words, and, though my thoughts aren't always so pure, I trust they will change also over time!

So...I am chief among sinners, and I truly am here only because of the grace of God! He is still working on me and I am seeing the results and the operators in various companies are reaping the fruit!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Mrs. Lisa, you are very inspirational and I read your blog daily looking for wisdom and thoughts to ponder. I'm so glad that we still get to hear you thinking outloud on this blog. Thank you for taking the time to share with us!

The Costner Family said...

I agree with Amber: I'm thankful that you are still able to share your wisdom with me through the internet. And, as encouragement to you, I also get frustrated (to be nice about it) with phone trees. The ones that make me the angriest are the ones where you have to speak what you want only to do so and the phone doesn't recognize what you said. Thanks again for sharing your vast wisdom with us.