Sunday, August 31, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes!

The past two weeks, our children have been passing around a stomach bug. Yuck! In the grand scheme of things, it has been very mild and only lasted 24 hours or less. With each child, the symptoms were less intense and the whole things ran its course quicker. But then yesterday, Ben and I got it! The same day! And it hit us with a vengeance! I wanted to die yesterday, and was truly hoping that death would come soon so I could be done with this bug that had turned into a full-fledged monster. Ben is able to sleep when he is sick, which is so nice for him. Not that he felt any better than I did, but at least when you can sleep, you miss out on the horrible stuff for a little while. I, on the other hand, can't really sleep when I am sick, so I get to experience the whole thing, play-by-play. Another yuck!

I woke up this morning feeling really so much better...how does that work? It certainly gives me a perspective on a lot of things! For one, it shows me what a short time most things last even though it seems like an eternity when you're going through it. Secondly, I realize how nice it is to feel good. I take that for granted and every once in a while, I like being reminded of how good I have it. Thirdly, being sick reminds me that I am not in control, though I like to think that I am. God is! Whatever the reason is that He allowed me to be sick, it certainly made me slow down yesterday, put my agenda aside, and gave me time to do a lot of praying. I didn't only pray for myself, but God was faithful to bring so many people to mind and I was grateful to have so much quiet time to bring needs, desires, thanks, and praise before the Lord. I think, in reality, I might have been speaking in a bit of a fog and delirium, but I am confident that He knows just what I was wanting to say.

So...what a difference a day makes..I have already had breakfast this morning, am able to do a bit of laundry, and am feeling great while I sit here typing this. I think that I am actually smiling! :) Isn't God great?

4 comments:

Jill said...

I hate the stomach bug...not fun for anyone involved!!! I'm glad you are feeling better today, though!!!

Amber said...

Great perspective! I'm glad you are feeling better!

Melissa said...

God is good indeed! I hate being sick...especially if it's the stomach bug. Glad to hear it only lasted a short time and everyone is feeling better! I think sometimes God just wants us to slow down a bit...and being sick sure does the trick!

Jennifer Jackson said...

I am glad you are feeling better. Stomach bugs are the worse illness in my opinion! I can funtion with a cold and sometimes a fever, but a stomach bug puts me in bed and I stay there. I love that you spent your day praying for others when most would be praying for just themselves. What a great witness!