Monday, August 4, 2008

God Must be Smiling

In Rick Warren's book The Purpose Driven Life, he says that we are here to make God smile. I love that thought! In all the theological discussions that I have participated in over the years, I have heard many things that I need to do...obey this command, stop doing something else...so many things it made my head hurt. So, I really love the thought that I am here to make God smile. Every once in a while, I stop what I am doing and wonder if God is smiling because of what I am doing, or thinking, or NOT doing or thinking.

So last night, I think God was smiling...because I know that I was! It was about 8 pm and all seven of us were out in our backyard. Ben had just completed working on the playscape that we got for practically nothing, but needed quite a bit of work. He set it up next to the trampoline and the kids began to buzz around wondering if they could finally play on the playscape. They looked to Ben to see if it would be ok, and when he said they could, they ran over to swing, slide, and show us how they could make their way across the monkey bars. Our oldest daughter decided that she would head to the trampoline and she jumped and played with them as they switched from one play area to the other. By the end of the evening, Ben and the four little ones were lying on the trampoline watching the bats flying around catching the bugs and Bailey and I were sitting in chairs just talking about what she thinks God has in store for her.

It took me a minute to realize that I was smiling at the sight of my precious family, all together, having a marvelous time...no one yelling, crying, whining. Just enjoying one another.

That's when it hit me that God was probably smiling!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Thank you for sharing this with us..such an inspiration and words of wisdom! I miss having you around, but I'm so glad you are following God's will and He is keeping you challenged! We are thinking of you and your family!

Amber said...

Oops.. I wanted to include my blog address on that post!

www.thepowellfamilylife.blogspot.com