Thursday, August 21, 2008

What I Learned From a 20 Something

Seeing a friend struggling with laundry baskets with enough clothes for 14 people for 3 days, this 20 something ran to her and said, "Let me help you carry your laundry. It's my favorite thing to do!"

Same 20 something, next night...she sees the same friend and me picking up about 7 games worth of cards, tokens, pieces, etc...that our boys had gotten out and poured into one gigantic pile onto the floor. She comes over and says, "Let me pick up the games. It's my favorite thing to do!"

Now I know good and well that picking up after my own kids isn't always my favorite thing to do and certainly picking up after someone else's kids REALLY isn't my favorite thing to do....and I am a mom and love serving my family and others. This girl's attitude about serving taught me a lesson. Serving God IS my favorite thing to do and by serving Him, it might mean carrying someone's laundry, or going ahead and DOING it, or picking up tons of game pieces, or myriad other things.

So, I am trying to really believe the statement "it's my favorite thing to do". The cool thing that I have learned about God over the years, is that when I do the right actions, He is faithful to bring the feelings along. So pretty soon, I have no doubt, I will really feel that whatever I am doing will be my favorite thing to do, as I am doing it.

1 comment:

Gregg Stutts said...

Great post, Lisa! I need to remember that: It's my favorite thing to do!