Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Routine

The "un"-routine of summer was delightful in the beginning. No plans. No place we needed to be. No hurry.

But now the routine of the new school year is just as pleasant. A bit more of a schedule. Some every week kinds of things. Structure.

I would not normally think of myself as a "structure" kind of gal....but the older I get, I am appreciating it more and more. I think it comes down to a bit of pride, really. (seems as though many things head that way for me these days) I enjoy that feeling of accomplishment that comes with completing my agenda.

Oh! Don't get me wrong! I am still a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of gal...especially when compared to most everyone around me! But I am beginning to really appreciate the idea of routine. I don't want to become so enamored of routine that I become one of the cantankerous old women.

Eventually I want to have grandchildren running amok in my house/yard and I don't want to be the one yelling at them to "get off the grass"! I want to enjoy life with them.

I think that is what it comes down to....I want to enjoy the life God has for me....whether it's in the routine or the spontaneity.

No comments: