Saturday, September 13, 2008

Figuring Out Coupons

So I really do understand coupons, but since moving here, I have discovered a new level of shopping and what people around here call "couponing". It is a bit to get used to, but I am doing my darndest to try and learn it and in the process, save my family big bucks on weekly groceries! Since we have seven people in our family, groceries take up a large part of our budget. I want to whittle that number down without giving up the things we normally have around. Here is what I discovered today:

Target:
4 boxes of Kashi cereal 4/$11, but I had a $2 off coupon AND Target gave out a $5 gift card for every four boxes purchased. That means that with the coupon, the cereal was $9 and then take the $5 off and each box was $1! How's that for savings?

Also at Target...St. Ives Elements facial cleanser was $6.64 and on sale for $4.99. I had a buy one get one free coupon AND there was an additional coupon around the bottle for $1.50 off. So each bottle came to $3.50 and the second one was free!

Walgreens has many great deals also. Did you know that when they offer items that have a rebate, you can opt to take that rebate back in the form of a Walgreens gift card and if you do, the company will automatically put an extra 10% on the card for you? In their stores, they have a small coupon book that is good for the month called Easy Saver. It outlines all the sales, has coupons, and explains how to get your rebate back on a card. So at Walgreens today I bought Excedrin, Crest Pro-Health toothpaste, Lypsyl lip moisturizer, Chemistry leave in hair conditioner, and a several other things. My out of pocket today was $58 but I will end up getting back about $30 on a gift card. The goal is to have a couple of trips to Walgreens that are a bit more out of your pocket, but then to use the gift card, register rewards, and coupons to make your trips "free".

I know that many of you want to save money for your family like I do, so I thought you'd be interested in this. There is much more info on how to save at Walgreens at www.moneysavingmom.com if you are interested with LOTS of other links to women just like us!

Anyway, hope this helps you. I'd love to hear what you do to save money.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Sweet! I had no idea Walgreens did that. I'll have to check that out! Thanks Lisa. I am just a boring old coupon clipper...but I'll have to spice that up now! Thanks!!

Jill said...

I didn't have a clue about walgreens...I will definitely checking that out!