Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Vote...But Don't Take it too Seriously!

Don't get me wrong, I view voting as a right and as a privilege of living in the United States. I encourage you to vote! So let me explain the reason I am writing this.

Ben and I have watched with complete attention to both national conventions that have taken place recently. We have listened to every word the candidates themselves have said and have listened to most of the pundits and their views. It has been a fascinating process this go-round. We think that this is the most interesting election to take place in our lifetime.

So while all that sounds very detached and logical...don't be mistaken. We have booed, hissed, cheered, yelled at the screen, the crowd, and the media! We have ended evenings of watching with knots in our stomachs at what we perceive as lies, exaggerations, outrageous statements, and the like. Though we have never said it, there is a feeling of live or die in this election. There is a feeling of mountain top hopefulness, and then in the next second, pit of despair hopelessness. We get up off the couch angry at things that have been said, outrage at things not said, and incredulous that others could be duped so easily.

Why does this matter? Why shouldn't we feel this way? Didn't I just say that voting is important? As Christ followers, we know the ending! We know that God is in control! We know, most of all that this is not our home! Do I get all worked up about Portugal's politics? Does my stomach tie in knots over Sweden's elections? Do I care so much about Sri Lanka's nominating speeches? NO! Because I don't live there. I am not a citizen of those countries. For the most part, I don't give a hoot about those places and their election seasons. I should feel that way here too, because I am a citizen of Heaven, not here. I should engage in the process and take the opportunity to vote when offered to me, but the outcome...not my responsibility...it's God's! Who else could I trust to bring about the results that our best for us?


So, if you want to know, I will happily tell you my reasons for voting for the party I have chosen. I can give you a list of all the reasons you shouldn't vote for the other side, if you are a Christ follower. I do care. But from now on, my stomach will stay out of it, my anxiety will go elsewhere, and I will participate in a semi-detached way as though I really belong somewhere else!

No comments: