Monday, September 15, 2008

Good Information for a Bad Situation

Today my mom took me to lunch and we met three other women there. One of the women, Gayle, has been having a very difficult year. Her husband died suddenly while undergoing a routine surgical procedure. She had no warning, and in an instant her life was radically changed forever! She and her husband have three boys, so you can imagine the hardship this family has had to endure.

She is a believer, which certainly sheds a different light on the situation. But she is human, missing her husband desperately and trying to answer her boys' questions about why their dad isn't here to take them camping like he promised. Gayle is having to do all the things her husband used to do, while trying to do her own tasks, love her boys, and just breathe.

While I was listening to her story, I was thinking about what would happen if Ben died suddenly. Would I have to get a job right away? Could I continue to homeschool the kids? How would I sell his truck if I had to? Where are all the important pieces of information that I need? What are his computer passwords? The list went on and on. Gayle was telling us about some of these things as I was thinking them. She was relaying the difficulty in selling her husband's truck and a pop-up camper because they were in his name. She told about having to stand before a judge to get things changed into her name. She was completely overwhelmed with the tasks of life and my heart broke for her.

Why do I share this story? I came home and told Ben that we need to make sure that we have everything in both of our names. I need to know where things are...where we stand...think through what my options would be...

I share this because you need to do this too. None of us want to think that anything will happen, but not every death is a slow, drawn out one where you have time to get your affairs in order. Life is hard...death is hard...let's do what we can to make a horrible situation less hard by being a bit prepared ahead of time.

No comments: