Thursday, October 9, 2008

Creatively Inspired

We all felt creative today apparently...The day was, once again, beautiful, albeit a bit on the warm side. The kids were playing well with others, which doesn't always happen, and at least, in the morning, there was the hint of crisp fall air...it quickly vanished into the dog days of summer, but it was there, I promise!

Several weeks ago, I bought many pumpkins for kitchen decorations. As the weeks have gone by, I have had to sniff out various heinous smells coming from some obscure corner...each time, the pumpkins have been the culprit. Great looking from my vantage point, but picking them up unearthed the rot that was happening right under our noses! So we have three left and the girls decided to give them a bit of class. Not that giving a pumpkin class would take much, but you see the results here. They do look great...don't they? Soon, they too will be part of the trash heap, but we are thrilled with them for today.


Our second creative endeavor...last week I was asked to provide a dessert for a charity golf tournament as part of a raffle give-away thingee...I am not thinking too clearly at this hour. But you get my point...So I decided to make a pumpkin out of bundt cakes. At this point, I could recite the lines from My Big Fat Greek Wedding about bundt cakes, but I won't.


I baked two bundt cakes from box cakes. Then I leveled off the bottoms to make them flat.

I "glued" the two halves together to make the pumpkin with icing.

Then Ben made orange-colored icing and we drizzled over the cake. The color is more orange than it seems in this picture, but trust me, it's really cute. I only have to put some greenery in the middle to complete the pumpkin theme. At this point, I could once again say some lines from the previously mentioned movie about "fixing the hole". I am going to pretend that it will go for lots of money in the raffle...don't burst my bubble and tell me when you see it in the trashcan! Let me have my great creative day!





3 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok that's a cute idea with the Bundt cake! I would have never thought of that! You are creative woman!!! I love the painted pumpkins too, I may just have to do that in my kitchen...but if something starts to smell...well we'll know what it is! Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

How cool is that! I would have never thought to put tissue paper on pumpkins! Ok, I'm going to have to do that soon! Thanks! Hope you enjoy the Potato Soup...I did when I could finally eat it! I'm feeling much better now!!!

amy said...

I am laughing knowing exactly what you are talking about in the movie! :) Those pumpkins look so cute. Now I want to try that.