Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Presence of a Good Friend

"The presence of a good friend is good medicine to the heart. It soothes the soul and brings joy to the weary."
I wish that "verse" would be in the Bible! It is true in my life and I suspect in yours too! I just received much of that good medicine from a variety of people.
On Monday, our family made the trek to Little Rock to visit our most dear friends. The moment we pulled up in the driveway, I could feel the medicine working. Then when my friend came running out to meet us, the medicine became even more potent! Ahhh! I could feel it go down and soothing everything in its path. Then came the hello hug....a large dose of medicine!
Tuesday, we were privileged to see so many sweet friends and their children. Ohhh! More medicine for my weary soul. More joy to my weary heart. More hugs to hold up this weary body.
The rest of the week delivered more doses of this holy medicine. Talks with a friend, tears over prayers, laughter while conversing, jokes during the card games, smiles over shopping, shared meals, and shared lives for a very short week. But the potency!...the way it worked so speedily!...the lasting power!
God is so good to provide what is needed just when it is needed. So, I still say that I wish this verse were in the Bible:
"The presence of a good friend is good medicine to the heart. It soothes the soul and brings joy to the weary."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are sure making me cry...It was such a blessed time together. The house is SO (sadly) quiet...