Tuesday, November 4, 2008

An Oasis in a Dry and Weary Land

The move here has been really pretty good. We have gotten settled quickly, made some new friends, and rekindled old friendships. We have found a church and get to see my family most every day. Though all these things have happened...it has still been like being in a dry and weary land. It is exhausting to make new friendships. It is tiring to be the "new" person. It can be lonely to be in a room full of people who don't know you, but seem to know each other.

God provided just the right oasis for me the past few days. He allowed two of our girls and me to go back to Little Rock for a couple of days. I felt it the moment we walked off of the plane! The air was calling to me, so it seemed. The breeze blowing by me whispered in my ear to relax and let go. The leaves on the trees were in full blaze color just for my arrival! How awesome was that?

Then my friend drove up to pick us up. I knew right away that this was going to be a fabulous trip! The hug I received was one of total acceptance even though she knows me better than almost anyone. The advise from the breeze was sinking in.

Church was terrific also! What a joy to see women who have touched my life in some of the most meaningful ways. What a pleasure to hold their newly born babies knowing that Jesus was being spoken to them everyday.

I think I smiled the whole time, especially while sharing meals with good friends, sharing our lives, the ups and the downs and encouraging each other along the way.

So while I was being driven to the airport to come back, I bid farewell to the breeze and the trees, and then I really had to say goodbye to friends.

I came back feeling refreshed and rejuvenated...ready to begin life again in the desert. I know that this desert will soon bloom into its full beauty. But for now, I am satisfied that I know where the oasis is and I think if I am really still, I can hear the breeze calling me back.

2 comments:

Nitzia said...

i am so glad you came and I got to say hi... we all miss you and your family always!

Ashley S. said...

We loved seeing you too! :)