Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Find my ent" and other things I yell at God!

My two year old son peers out at me while I am standing in the kitchen baking bread and he is watching a movie. He yells, "Find my ent!" Ent is his elephant that he was given at birth and has little stuffing left, but couldn't be more special to our little one. I, of course, am offended at his tone of voice with me and proceed to talk to him and explain that he needs to be the one to find ent (since it is his after all). He begins to get a quizzical look on his face like I am speaking another language and yells again for me to find his ent.

It begins to dawn on me that this must be what I sound like to God many times! Different "yells" at different times in my life, but basically the same thing. Right now, I am in the middle of the "find me a friend close to what you gave me in Little Rock!" yell. But at other times in my life, it has been the "find the money to get me that..." yell; or the "find people for me who really appreciate all I do!" yell...you get the picture I am sure.

So though I have matured spiritually over the years, I am still a two year old at heart screaming at my Father to do things for me. The amazing thing is that just as I took my little guy by the hand and gently took him upstairs for the two of us to look for ent together, God is always gently answering my prayers (screams...rants) and walking beside me until we "find" whatever it is I am currently looking for.

3 comments:

Jennifer Jackson said...

What a great thought! That is so true for me too. Thanks for sharing that.

Jill said...

Lisa!!! I'm so glad you have a blog!!! What a good post!

The Costner Family said...

Lisa, I'm so glad that you started this blog. After reading this post, I realized this is a way that you can still minister to us in LR, me in particular, even though you are in San Antonio. Thanks for all your words of wisdom.