Monday, July 28, 2008

Stripping Away the Layers

"Honey! Do you think I should shave off my beard and mustache?" my husband yelled at me from the bathroom the other evening. I was caught offguard since he has had facial hair for over fifteen years, except for a very short time when he shaved everything off after making a bit of a mistake while trimming his beard one afternoon, but he grew it back very quickly.

After asking why he would even consider such a big step, he explained that being in Military Ministry, he felt that, though he has the freedom to wear whatever he wants, it might be easier to not have the distraction of facial hair when speaking with military people. You can have a bit of a mustache in the mililtary, but it is all strictly enforced and so most people don't bother. I agreed that the freedom he has might not need to be flaunted and that he would never go wrong in shaving it all off and taking the high road.

Though the flaunting of our freedoms has enough spiritual applications...God has used this seemingly innocent event to speak to me about stripping away things that I might be hiding behind. I have discovered that I hide behind things in my life that allow me to stay in my comfort zone and not step out for God. I hide behind my activities with my family, children mostly. I hide behind my weight, though it sounds funny...allowing myself to stay at my present (over)weight keeps things from stretching out to far beyond the status quo. So...you get my point.

I watched my husband strip away his facial hair...certainly after all these years it was security, you know..the known vs. the unknown, and he did it to be more effective in his ministry and witness for our Savior! What a witness to me!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go Ben! I'm sure that will take some getting used too! I still haven't seen my Dad EVER without a beard! Luke shaved off his one afternoon and I had him grow it back right away...he looked like he was 12! I'm sure the Military will appreciate Ben with or without facial hair! Miss you!

Ashley S. said...

It's like how my dad would look if he shaved his mustache. He's had it longer than I've been alive, so it'd be weird. Way to be brave, Ben.

The Costner Family said...

He looks like a baby (a compliment)! Marcus looks the same way when he shaves off his goatee. It looks great! Way to go! Ben, it's great that you were thinking of your ministry instead of your on "security" when making this decision.