Wednesday, February 18, 2009

An Atheist Next Door

The parents of our neighbor moved in with her in October. We have spoken with her father, John, several times. He is nice enough...weathered face, ex-special forces, long gray hair pulled back in a ponytail. You probably have seen the type. I think he has probably had many interesting experiences in life.

Today is a fabulous day...proving that Texas really is God's country...but that's beside the point. I was outside watching the kids play and soaking up the sun after two days of Seattle-like drizzle. John came over and started talking.

Once again, he brought up the fact that he is an atheist. As a believer, I know the cure for the disease of atheism, but how does that play out when I am actually talking to an atheist? I enjoyed the conversation, and John actually brought up a lot of things to which I could give Christian answers without beating him up with it. But I kept praying the whole time for God to give me the right words to speak...the right actions to display...the right heart and attitude to exude.

I want to be who God wants me to be. I want to make God smile. I want to make a difference. I guess we will see if John is part of that plan. I will keep praying.

No comments: