Monday, December 29, 2008

The 13 Weeks of Christmas

This year I tried, with much success, I might add, to start organizing my Christmas activities early so that as Christmas got closer, I didn't go crazier. It worked really well this year. So well, that on Christmas Eve, both Ben and I commented several times how relaxing it was.

So since we are just coming out of the hectic season, I thought that I would make my revised "to do" list now, while I am still thinking about it and things are fresh on my mind. I will probably tweak it again after next Christmas, but here is something for me to begin with:

1. Week of 10/2 make cookie dough
2. Week of 10/9 make cookie dough and other doughs (breads, etc...)
3. Week of 10/16 decide on and find the right wrapping paper, make basic meals to freeze for the hectic days as Christmas gets closer
4. Week of 10/23 research and decide on inexpensive yet meaningful gifts for
5. Week of 10/30 SS teachers, AWANA leaders, etc...
6. Week of 11/6 Christmas cards
7. Week of 11/13 Christmas cards
8. Week of 11/20 research fun free or mostly free things for the family to do
9. Week of 11/27 decorate house, send Christmas cards day after Thanksgiving, shop after Thanksgiving sales for great deals
10. Week of 12/4 final buying of gifts, including stocking stuffers
11. Week of 12/11 put together the teacher gifts and deliver
12. Week of 12/18 wrap gifts
13. Week of 12/25 Have Fun! Then shop after Christmas sales to begin getting a jump on next year's needs.

Cookie doughs this year: gingersnap, sugar, chocolate chip, gingerbread, white chocolate macadamia nut, peanut butter

Fun free things to do this year: La Cantera Resort Cowboy Christmas, decorating gingerbread houses, making gingerbread men cookies and decorating them, driving around looking at lights, Santa's Ranch, watching all the 25 Days of Christmas movies on ABC Family, using free Redbox codes and renting movies

I shop all year around for Christmas, birthdays, unexpected needs of presents, other kids' birthdays, etc...After Thanksgiving and after Christmas are great days to gather a good amount of those things. Very inexpensive games, toys, DVDs, etc..are to be had.
I don't know if this list helps you, but I know it will help me out next year, when I have promptly forgotten the needs of this year. I'd love to hear what you do or what you see that I have missed. I can use all the input I can get!

1 comment:

Gregg Stutts said...

Lisa,
I love how a little planning can make December so much less stressful. Robyn and I felt like you did this year--less stress, more enjoyable.

One of the things I've found to really save time and hassle (not sure about the money part) is to shop online. I don't know how many trips the UPS guy made to our house this year, but it was a lot. It's nice to just click a few buttons rather than fight the traffic and crowds at the mall.