Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fun Foods

My kids love mac & cheese with hot dogs cut up in it for lunch. Though I am perfectly willing to make that for them, sometimes I want to punch it up a bit and make them smile. Here is what I did today.
Start with the hot dogs.
About 1 1/2 inches from an end, cut eight strips.

Can you see what is happening? Put that in the microwave and nuke it for a little bit.

The longer you heat it up, the more the legs begin to curl. My kids don't like theirs so hot, so I only had it in the microwave for about 20 seconds for this look.
I took a knife and made two small slits for eyes and then took two chocolate sprinkles and placed one in each slit for eyes.
There you have it! An octopus on a sea of macaroni. It worked! My kids smiled, giggled, laughed, and then proceeded to eat it all up!


3 comments:

Jill said...

OMG! That makes me laugh so hard!!! Although, it kind of grosses me out that your kids eat cold hot dogs....sounds like something Eli would do! :)

Shelly, OTA in training said...

I love it! We do need some motivation for eating so I will try that sometime. Your list is great. I always try to get things done early but there is just too much and it piles up. We also try to buy things throughout the year.

Amber said...

What a fun, yummy lunch! I love your ideas...I think we will have this on Friday for all my kids!