Friday, January 2, 2009

One Proud Mama

When our kids turn 10, they have two new jobs added to their list of "things to do around here". One is to do their own laundry. The other is to fix a meal for the family once a week. They have to find a recipe, get the list of ingredients to me, and then prepare it. Darby turned 10 last year, but with the move and the chaos, we haven't really begun the meal chore, but tonight changed all that! (Though I must say that move and chaos or not, I have made her do her own laundry. What a blessing!) Darby found a recipe for roasted chicken and she made it with a bit of supervision from me. I must say it turned out completely yummy, delicious, and tender! The whole family loved it. She paired it with rice and peas, and voila!, the meal was complete!

There were two chickens, one stuffed under the skin with rosemary, and the other with lemon. The rosemary one was subtle and most of the family liked that one best. I liked the rosemary, but I think I preferred the zing of the lemon chicken. There was a definite tang to it! She rubbed it with just the right amount of salt.
Complete meal: chicken, rice, peas, and Rawley ready and waiting for it all!
Darby, I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see what you pick and prepare for next week!

1 comment:

Rob Dennie said...

Lisa-what other chores/ages do your kids do? We do a few but probably not enough!