Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sometimes I Just Need a Good Cry

Ben asks, "Why do women read books that make them cry? Does it make y'all feel better?"

I don't know the answer to that. Why do I read books that make me cry? I don't know that I purposely do it. I don't think that I set out to find a book that will make me cry; but if I think that it will, I don't avoid it either.

I was in need of a good read tonight. I just wanted a book that would "take me away" for a little bit. So I go into Bailey's room and ask her if she has a book. She gives me Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks. Now, any sane girl knows that a Nicholas Sparks book is going to make you cry because someone always dies! But that didn't even cross my mind...honest!

I get the book and in two hours, I am finished with it, bawling my eyes out! It's that book that creates a constriction in your chest because you actually "feel" what is happening. The characters are just real people capturing a moment in time.

So I brought the book back to Bailey to put on her bookshelf. I walk out of her room still crying, but somehow I do feel a bit better about things. Hmmmm.....Maybe that IS the answer to Ben's question. Weird, huh?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Well you read my post! LOL!!! I don't mind human characters that make me cry...but somehow an animal just breaks my heart!! Isn't that nuts! I agree though, sometimes women just need a good cry...isn't that why we love chick flicks???

Shelly, OTA in training said...

Lately I've been reading a lot of blogs that make me cry. Nathan will come in to me sitting at the computer with tears running down my face. He just shakes his head. I like Nicholas Sparks too! I think it's healthly somehow. After reading these blogs of people who have lost children, I'm much less likely to get upset just b/c my kids are giving me a hard time. It makes me realize how precious they are.

Ben DeBusk said...

I still don't get it. I'd never watch a comedy or read something funny and then feel bad. Why does it work the other way around for women?

Just gotta scratch my head sometimes!