Thursday, March 19, 2009

Theology According to Willy Wonka

During lunch time, my kids get a day assigned each week where they get to pick what they watch on TV while eating. Today was Rawley's day and he picked the original version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

At the end of the movie, when Charlie hands back the Everlasting Gobstopper to Willy Wonka, Willy makes a statement that I have been thinking about since the movie's end.

He says, "So shines a good deed in a weary world."

It dawned on me that this saying is the same as when the Bible says that we are the light of the world. Can you only imagine how the world would view small good deeds? How they would shine in this weary world? How we would then have an opportunity to be the light of the world for Jesus. To the world a good deed shines. How much more so when we believers are the ones doing the good deeds! What are your good deeds for this weary world?

1 comment:

Amber said...

You have set an excellent example of doing good deeds! I think of you several times a week and I'm loving that I get to read about your family, your thoughts, and wisdom even though we don't get to see you as often!

It was sad that I couldn't quickly think of more, but one of my good deeds right now is writing to a prisoner through the Genesis Prison Ministry. She seems so happy to hear from someone in the outside world!